10 Years since Iraq: The Changing Face of War, March 20th
Wednesday, March 20th, 7pm
Grace Place, 637 S Dearborn St., Chicago, IL
This program to mark the tenth anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War in 2003, will include a panel of speakers addressing the changing face of war. Abroad, the US' increased use of drones for "targeted killings" in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia, has resulted in the deaths of thousands of civilians. Here in the US, deadly cuts continue to be imposed on domestic programs in order to fund the Pentagon's excessive spending and line the pockets of wealthy corporations, such as Boeing. The fights for public education, housing, and healthcare are intricately tied to the fights against war and imperialism.
* Peter Lems is a leader in the American Friends Service Committee anti-drone effort.
* Kait McIntyre of the Anti-War Committee will speak about the local campaign targeting Boeing.
* Vince Emanuele, of the Iraq Veterans Against the War, served two tours in Iraq.
* Victoria Crider of the Campaign for a Trauma Center at University of Chicago Hospitals will address "Money for Healthcare, Not for War"
* Andy Thayer of the Gay Liberation Network and one of the founders of the Chicago Coalition Against War & Racism
* A speaker from the United States Palestinian Community Network - Chicago
Musical performance by Haydee Marino and Ramon Marino
And following the program, there will be a vigil to remember Rachel Corrie, who was killed 10 years ago as well.
Sponsored by: Anti-War Committee, American Friends Service Committee, 8th Day Center for Justice, American Muslim Alliance - IL, American Muslim Task Force - IL, Pakistan Federation of America, Pashtun Jarga of America, U.S. Palestinian Community Network, Iraq Veterans Against the War (Chicago & Indiana Chapters), Veterans for Peace - Indiana Chapter. Chicago Area Peace Action