Chicago Indymedia :
Chicago Indymedia

News :: [none]

We need you to come out to 48th and Western Saturday 11:30

Protest the FTAA in Chicago

The Chicago No FTAA working group has made more detailed plans for a rally and protest march to be held on Sat. April 21. The rally will correspond with protests against Free Trade Area for the Americas in Quebec and beyond.
The protest against the FTAA will begin at 48th and Western at the Hendrickson Spring plant. The plant is another south side factory that is closing. By next year, the company will move 20 percent of the plant’s work to Canada and the other 80 percent to Mexico.

At 11:30 AM, people are asked to start showing up to challenge undemocratic institutions that are affecting not only American workers but also the environment, human rights and public services.

The rally begins at Noon with speakers and announcements. The keynote speaker will be Leo Gerard, President of the United Steelworkers of America.

The march will begin at 1 PM. The march will move from Hendrickson to McKinley Park. As the group moves along there will be signs, props and maybe even puppets. Organizers plan to hold a “race to the bottom” where countries will fight to finish first under the watch of global bankers. Watch to see how the race turns out.

Once at Mckinley Park, more speakers and events are planned. The rally will end around 2:30 PM.

The rally still needs many volunteers. Marshalls are needed to help keep things organized. Help with event setup is required.

People to handle phone banks to get the message out on April 16 and 17 need to be brought in. People to work the mailings are being looked for.

Actors are needed for the race and possibly other skits. Help with making signs, props and posters will take place on April 5 from 7-9 PM at Unite Hall, 333 S. Ashland.

For more information and to get involved call Jobs With Justice, 312-787-5868 ext 137.



Account Login

Media Centers


This site made manifest by dadaIMC software